It is my firm belief that in order to change the world, the systems, and shift normalcy we have to start with us. Nothing will get better unless we commit to mental, spiritual and physical wellness.
When you are well, we will be well.
Here are my Top 10 Ways to Practice Radical Self-Love for the Revolution:
1. Believe in yourself and your wildest dreams. That crazy feeling you have about something that seems so "crazy," do that, be that. That is what is calling you. Listen to it. So many people are ill and depressed because they refuse to live in their personal truth. Do not get stuck in your fear. It is okay to be afraid, but take one step at a time to get closer to living that absolute dream feeling.
2. Drink Water. Just do it. Carry a reusable water bottle with you everywhere you go, fill it and drank it. If you're in a bad mood or achy or feeling the big weird, drink a bunch of water.
3. Meditate. Stop your brain and focus on universal light and energy. If its hard for you to do on your own, there are a ton of resources, you can google a meditation for just about any ailment. Do this first thing in the morning and before you go to bed--you will feel so much more sourced, connected, grounded and ready.
4. Spend Time Outside Everyday. Seems simple enough, but for a lot of people, especially if you drive everywhere everyday, you are missing one of the most divine connections available. There is nothing like going outside, taking a walk and just being. Choose to take the bus or subway instead of driving or ride-sharing. Take 10 minutes of a break to walk around. Make yourself do this everyday.
5. Unplug at certain times everyday, every season. In order to break the systems and step out of the program, we have to consciously stop ourselves from playing this man made game that will have us believe we are in "FOMO," or that we need so many likes to be okay. Trust that it's all good and what's happening is what's supposed to be happening. You do not need to be locked into your technology every hour of everyday.
6. Allow yourself to rest. You are not lazy, I guarantee it. You need more rest than you probably think you do. You want to sleep for 12 hours for 4 weeks, fine. You want to take a siesta everyday for a few hours, awesome. Listen to your body. Western mentality will have us believing that we are not doing enough and thus makes us afraid to stop. Trust me, when you listen to your body, you will realize you have phases. Sometimes you may be up all night long, sometimes you may be up at the crack of dawn. Allow it to be.
7. Say nice things to yourself. If there was a recording for how many times we negate ourselves, put ourselves down, or allow ourselves to believe that things aren't possible, we'd be very disappointed in ourselves. Try replacing one "I can't, won't, shouldn't, never," with an "I can, I will, I totally should, yes please more!!!
8. Do nice things for yourself. So whether you have a self-care budget or not, think about working towards one. Schedule treats for yourself at least once a month: acupuncture, massage, hot springs, beach trip, going out dancing, mani pedi, etc... If it's not in your budget right now, do things to pamper yourself at home: take a bath, make a facial, light a candle, eat food rich with nutrients.
9.Play! Stop taking yourself so seriously, there aren't a million playgrounds in this world for nothing. Next time you see one, stop and do the thing that makes you feel giddy. Be spontaneous, do some cartwheels, try a handstand, play patty cake, make up a song, anything that you would do as a kid is super Bueno!
10. Dance like you mean it! You know I had to say it. There is no better way to release feelings and celebrate this vessel than to allow yourself to dance. When you dance, you are taking care of you on so many levels--you're practicing risk-taking, creativity, connection with your higher self and the divine, you are circulating the body, removing stagnancy from the being and shifting your mood and energy. It's amazing and there's nothing like it.
There it is...do these things consistently and you will be sourced, grounded, and ready for anything. Taking care of yourself is the greatest thing you can do if you are hoping to impact change in this universe.
It has to start with you so that you can be all of you, the person who we so desperately need as your total you in this world.
I love you,
Axé, Founder/Leader, Sol Vida Worldwide
(Ah-shay / I feel the spirit / It is so)
* * *
Want more tools, resources or advice for your life? Book a 30-minute Positive Energy Session with Axé.
Do you ever feel like you're a big weirdo?
Being too much?
Your feelings are too much?
I do... kind of all of the time.
In particularly, this happened to me recently when I was leading a Sol Vida Sunset Pop Up Class at Cheesman Park.
I was in a weird mood. A conflicted mood. Frankly, I didn't even feel like dancing that day. It was like bricks in my body and I really didn't know how I was going to get out of that mood and become the guide and leader that I love to be.
Then it hit me. I had just gotten back from my 40th year birthday celebration at a cabin in the woods with my BFF's. One of my lifelong friends had made me a special playlist for my birthday and we listened to it a lot--she gets me.
There was one song that I found particularly haunting. Like it was getting under my skin.
I thought it was so weird.
But somehow it was so absolutely soothing.
That song was doing something for me.
So, fast forward to sunset at Cheesman Park, I'm having dance teacher block when I remember the song!
That weirdo, kind of creepy, crawling under my skin song.
The kind of song that compels me to choreograph something to it.
I immediately looked it up and was relieved at last when it propelled me to get out of my mind and into my body.
It made me want to dance.
And it made me want to dance "weird."
It made me dance differently than any other choreography I've done in maybe ever. In fact this dance started to feel like a compilation of all the dances I've ever studied, all the dances that the young people have taught me...
It felt futuristic. It felt ethereal. I managed to mix up Modern, animation, with a twist of what I'd call deconstructed Hip Hop.
(Here's a link to the dance...)
But guess what?
I was afraid.
I was afraid that one was going to be able to relate to this dance.
I was afraid my clients were gonna hear this song and see this dance and be like, "What do you want me to do?"
I was sure it was too far out. Way too weird.
And then something happened...
I introduced the song and choreography and had a completely opposite reaction of what I thought was going to happen.
The people who got to learn this dance...
They loved how it felt, how it helped them release their feelings.
In fact, one of my clients was feeling the same type of way as me--confused, at a crossroads, and searching for the answers… That's really what this choreography became to be.
I tell you this story, because it's about the power of overcoming our fear.
It's about doing the thing that we think is weird or too much.
Because you probably need to express it and the world may love what you have to express even more than you can possibly think.
So in an effort to help you express yourself with bold audacity, here are a few ways to help you tap into your inner weird:
1. Do the thing that you are afraid to do. Whatever that gut feeling is that you're having inside and won't go away, do that thing. If it makes you scared, but you know it's calling you, do it. Note: We are talking about personal self-expression in the body, so be safe.
2. Your Feelings are Your Feelings... Express Them. You are a beautiful individual whose emotions are valid. They are your truth. So whether they are amazing feelings or down right crappy feelings, it is imperative that they do not stay stuck in your body. You have to let them out. If you are confused, sad, or just downright ecstatic, express that! It is crucial to give yourself a healthy outlet to live with your emotions--the body is such an important part of this release. So Dance your feelings, choreograph your feelings, or just improvise and dance your feelings however feels right for you.
3. Do Not Worry About What You Look Like. Okay, okay, we get it--judgement. Self-judgement, self-hatred, self-awareness, self-consciousness. We all have a bit or a lot of it. Please do not let these feelings hold you back from doing what is calling you. I have so many students of the young variety and the old who consistently tell me that they are afraid to show up to a dance experience because of how they will look and more importantly what I hear when people tell me this, is I'm afraid of myself. Honey's please stop those voices now. The only thing you need to worry about is the type of environment you are putting yourself in when you choose to express yourself. Be in a safe space with leaders who will guide you to your highest self and light. Guides who will celebrate you being all of you.
All right dear ones, please embrace your weird.
You can check me out talking about and demonstrating all this weird over here.
You can also check out other people doing my "weird" choreography and making it theirs over here.
Facts are, you are actually not that weird.
Being a human is weird.
So, let's all accept the fact that we are weird and start expressing those truths.
If you want some assistance doing this work, you can start with
FREE Download: 10 Ways to Get Free in Your Body
I love you long time,
Axé (ah-shay / i feel the spirit /it is so)
Sol Vida Worldwide
My loves, my loves. It is so easy to be reactive to this world, the people of this world, the situations of this world.
I cannot tell you how many times I've allowed negative energy into my sphere, had to battle with the self and the mind and attempt to get myself out of a funk.
I'm someone who has been dealt some large doses of darkness in my life, from sexual abuse, abandonment, to divorce, single parenting, custody cases, anxiety and personal existential crises that seem to take place more often than not.
I've fought to keep myself in the light so many days of my life. When you have major life challenges that challenge you it becomes a fight for the light. Sometimes, it can be the smallest things that push us to our edge, making us feel mad, blah, depressed, sad, or just confused.
Being in a good mood and feeling the goods of life does take energy and effort. Some people are blessed to wake up everyday and automatically feel okay. But if you're like me and have any sort of trauma, these things can haunt you if you don't demand to overcome them.
I think people sometimes see me as a blossoming sphere of light and of course that is what I want to send out into the world. When I show up that's who I am and want to be. I can tell you it takes work for me to be this way consistently.
It is often said that the people with the greatest light have also known even greater darkness.
I choose to focus on what's good. I get caught up in what doesn't feel good. It sometimes takes a lot for me to get back into that place of being joyful, excited and in a good mood.
Here's some splendid news: I can tell you there are some sure fire ways to bring yourself back. It will take a little bit of effort, desire and persistence.
I'm going to share some definitive ways to improve your mood, shift and change your energy and consciousness... FAST!
1. Stop whatever you are doing and BREATHE.
You don't have to be a professional breather for God's sake, just be conscious with your breath. Even 15 seconds of this can shift things automatically. Enjoy A Moment of Presence of being with your self. I like to post these on my Instagram as a reminder to BE HERE NOW.
2. Get off of your phone/technology.
Guess what? I'm guilty of it, when I feel lost and don't know what to do, I find it ever too easy to zone out in a social media binge or Netflix show, it's embarrassing, but I can do that shit for days. Take a fucking break. Give yourself some discipline around your phone and those type of things. Commit to not looking at it first thing in the morning. Commit to not letting it be the last thing in your brain (and if you must, do something mindful with it, like listening to a meditation before slumber). Give yourself some boundaries with your technology. I promise this will help.
3. Go Outside
I don't care how hot or cold or wet or dry it is, Go Outside! Mother Nature is the greatest healer. Give yourself even one minute of conscious time outside. Take in your surroundings, notice all of your senses-- what do you see, smell, what you can you touch, hear, feel?
4. Walk it Out
This can be around the block or around the whole damn neighborhood or up a trail. Get outside, walk, and breathe. This is a surefire way to change your energy and begin to notice other things in your environment as well as your mind. I find this particularly helpful when feeling indecisive or when you're just not in the mood for shit. Just walk it out.
You know I had to say it. You don't have to go to class or be a professional to remember the exultation of releasing your body. This can be the greatest medicine. Every single time I've been in my darkest of deep spots--this is the remedy that pulls me out and reminds me of who I am, not based on other people or decisions that need to be made just the essence. Not sure what to do? Try this Body Part Warm Up I filmed in Guatavita, Colombia.
When you're in a not so great mood, it can feel really hard to get out of it. So, try these things and let me know how it goes for you in the comments below.
Remember: You have to commit to shifting your energy, you are the only one who can truly do it. I believe fully you can do it. One breath and one move at a time.
Sending you blessings of light and the power to control to improve your mood.
I love you with all of my heart,